The Layer2 Business Data List Connector for SharePoint has the following features and benefits:
- No additional tools or programming required: The connection can be configured easily directly in the SharePoint list settings with only a few configuration settings. Every SharePoint admin can do this in minutes.
- Connected data is always up-to-date: The connected data updates automatically in background (via timer job), or alternatively, on-demand (Action Menu / Ribbon Button, URL, workflow, API). Only changed data is transferred.
- Optional bi-directional connection: Write-back the changes made in SharePoint to external data sources automatically with full CRUD (Create / Update / Delete) functionality.
- All existing ODBC, OLEDB, OData and .NET based 3rd party ADO.NET data providers are supported: You can connect to SQL Server, SQL Azure, MySQL, Exchange, Active Directory, SharePoint, MS Office Excel, Access or CSV text files, XML, EDI, Oracle, IBM DB2, Informix, AS400, Cache, ERP/CRM systems (such as MS Dynamics CRM / NAV / AX, SAP, Salesforce.com), Twitter, Google, Facebook, QuickBooks, Peachtree, HL7, Virtual Store, general Web Services, .NET or COM+ objects, and many more.
Additional data provider included: SharePoint 2007 / 2010 and 2013 (CSOM, on-premises, and cloud-based), OData (e.g. MS CRM), XML (file or web request), and RSS.
Known BCS issues and limitations are completely solved: All list features are to you. Views, sorting and grouping, filters, calculated fields, search, enterprise metadata, and lookups can be created as normal.
Workflows and notifications on external change: List workflows (SPD-, VS-, and Nintex-based) and change notifications per RSS or email can be used to take business actions in SharePoint, if external business data records are changed.
High Security – Easy to maintain: SharePoint Secure Store can be used to store security relevant configuration information safely in one central place.
All list types are supported: Contacts, tasks, events, custom lists, etc. You can take the external data offline via Outlook and / or Workspace.
- You can add additional SharePoint-only columns or attachments to the external data: Documents, comments, ratings, enterprise metadata, or other Web 2.0 content.
- Application logging, reporting, and notifications: SharePoint lists can be used to store settings and log information. SharePoint item versioning and workflows can be used to manage reporting and notifications. Direct notification per email in case of errors is supported as well.
- Programming not required – but possible via API: Connect lists to external data sources completely automatically and update on-demand via API (see code samples included with the product).
- Easy SharePoint migration from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2013: All settings are maintained. Free upgrade for all customers with Software Assurance (SA).
- Knowledge Management and Social Networking features for external data: The BDLC makes available any external data source for SharePoint Enterprise Metadata Management (tagging) to use with the new SharePoint 2010 / 2013 Knowledge Management and Social Networking features without any restrictions.